Need advice on how to land an internship? Apply now for an opportunity to participate in SEO EDGE.
How to Land An Internship
Picture a pathway
- Understand your strengths, weaknesses, and preferences by taking assessments and getting personalized input from experienced professionals
- Engage with people in the industry and picture yourself in their shoes until you find a fit (attend information sessions, career fairs, and informational interviews with your school’s alumni)
- Read industry overviews to understand roles, career paths, potential projects, work environment, career trajectory, etc.
- Understand current themes in the industry by following the news and researching new concepts
- Research companies to understand their businesses, goals, and performance
- Learn the industry lingo so you can talk like an insider
Practice, practice, practice
- Meet professionals in your area of interest to become comfortable in professional situations
- Join campus organizations for your interest area so you can practice the lingo and get the scoop
- Do mock interviews to practice highlighting your experiences and skills
- Ask questions
- Dress appropriately for every stage of the process. Remember, everything is an interview and you are being evaluated all the time
- Create a LinkedIn profile and a non-school email account for work purposes (e.g. Gmail). Make the rest of your social media presence private
- Be honest and project confidence in your interviews. You are more than ready
- Follow-up with contacts to keep them up-to-date on your progress and to thank them for their help
The following resources provide insight into many important themes that will emerge as you explore internships, prepare for interviews, and get ready for your summer.
News & Ideas
Develop a point of view on the markets and general investment trends.
Get the basics on the Case Interview
Finance | Accounting
Understand the role of finance in a corporation
Understand IB careers, valuation methods, financial accounting principles, and corporate finance
Investment Research | Sales & Trading
Understand how to pitch an investment idea
Be prepared to have a discussion about your background in object-oriented programming languages including specific assignments and projects completed.
- Review programming class notes/assignments
Be ready to discuss your interest in banking technology, which placement role(s) you are most interested in and why?
- Be familiar with the SEO Career banking technology participating partners – This year our Technology partners include Citi, Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley
Take a public speaking course to help with speaking effectively and efficiently
Understand the industry:
- Take Macroeconomics and Microeconomics
- Learn about Monetary Systems and What Central Banks do. For example:
- The Federal Reserve and the Financial Crisis, Chairman Bernanke’s College Lecture Series
- Learn the basics about different financial instruments: Stocks, Bonds, Options, Futures, Foreign Exchange, Swaps
- Read a daily publication such as the Wall St. Journal or Financial Times
- Create an investment portfolio / Open up a paper trading account
- Updown.com, Investopedia.com, etc
- Interactive Brokers (Student Trading Lab), ThinkOrSwin (PaperMoney), etc
Understand current trends in:
- Cloud Computing: Cloud storage for market data (e.g. Xignite) and Cloud processing
- Hardware Accelerators: Graphics Processing Units (GPUs) and Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGA)
Follow news for mobile systems:
Understand current trends in: